California has come up with the brilliant idea of mandating solar power in all the newly constructed houses. It aims to meet a target by 2020 of running maximum number of homes through solar power. It became quite the trendsetter after declaring this rule as it is the first state to introduce something like this. The California Energy Commission decided to adopt this practice as a measure to prevent global warming, and they look forward to setting an example for the rest of the world to successfully curb the adverse effects of global warming and climate change.
Let us take a look at the benefits of solar powers to get a deeper understanding:
- For starters, it drastically reduces the electricity bill. It will generate electricity on its own, and that will automatically cut the supply from the utility provider. You can also earn good money by selling the unused electricity that was generated with the help of solar power to the grid itself. It is a smart choice to be self-reliant when it comes to generating electricity because that will ensure fewer intakes from the supplier.
- Using solar power is the most environment-friendly way to conserve energy. The negative impact on the environment is the smallest compared to any other source of power. The best feature of solar power is that it does not emit greenhouse gases and does not pollute the air and water. It requires a negligible amount of water for its maintenance as compared to nuclear power plants that need almost 20 times more water. Energy production from solar power does not create any loud noise, which prevents noise pollution.
- The need for energy tends to get on the higher side during the early evening time. So, it is evident that the cost of electricity will shoot up at these hours. But on the contrary, solar energy reaches its maximum efficiency level during the same time. Electricity generated during the time frame of 11:00-16:00 has a higher value than that produced in the night time. However, with the use of solar power, the cost of electricity during this period can be equivalent to the cost incurred at night.
- Solar power is available everywhere because the primary source of solar energy is sunlight. As long as the sun shines, solar power can go places to light up the lives of millions of people. Many remote areas are deprived of a regular supply of electricity; in that case, independent solar systems can be transferred to those regions to improve the lives of people living there.
- The power grid stands a considerable chance of danger when it has to support many powerhouses at the same time. But using solar power reduces the possibility of any threat. A grid that has a penetration of solar energy has umpteen number of energy production centers spread almost everywhere. This is the best way to avoid overload on the grid and any life-threatening natural or human disaster.
Currently, solar power is installed in 135,000 existing houses and over 15,000 newly built home in the state of California. The government plans to maintain this number every year. If the new plan is successfully implemented, then by the year 2020, solar power will be installed on more than 1,000,000 houses.
Installing solar power systems in houses could increase the price of the home. This could have an impact on the standard rate of the market. But to look at the bigger picture, a slight hike is capable of bringing about significant changes in the future. Solar power can be an effective weapon to fight the issues of global warming and climate change and will prove to be cost-effective in the long run. California is setting an example as a trailblazer for the entire world to follow. Solar power is the smartest way to conserve energy and cut down the ever-growing budget of electricity. The law of California states that by the year 2030 it has to create electricity from non-carbon producing sources for 50 percent of the state at the least. It is by far the boldest stance by a state to achieve clean energy goals.